среда, 11 февраля 2009 г.

The Love for Three Oranges - Bolshoi





FINALY!

Finaly a great performace of this Prokofiev's masterpiece at the Bolshoi. I'm not sure what happend last night, but I haven't heard the Bolshoi performing this opera, this good ever. For the first time, the orchestra sounded very clean and clear, with very nice coloring and a great power. Almost every single performer (except for Dursenyeva, playing Clarisse) was just about perfectly cast, with surprizingly good diction. This is absolutely the first time, that I was able to understand almost every spoken/sung word of this opera, this also includes, all the recordings and performances which I've heard. I was even more surprised to be able to understand the words sung by chorus, which is in almost every single opera a mission impossible.

It's almost a pitty that this great production by the late Peter Ustinov is now being somhow squeezed on this small new stage, while the main stage is undergoing a reconstruction. For you do somehow feel the sets to dominate the stage, and the chorus and ballet fighting for the space on the stage. On the main stage one felt a bit more air on the stage. But nevertheless, the show is still quite impressive and superbly stylish. I just adore those russian avangarde 20's feel and look of the costumes, and stage.

Well as mentioned, the biggest surprise was the orchestra which seem to be the result of the masterfull play by Alexandar Titov. Probably the most outstanding performer of the night was Maxim Paster, an absolutely superb Turffaldino, beautiful voice and fantastic actor. I've like also Marat Gali's Prince and my personal favorite was Nikolai Kazansky in a relatively small role of Panatalone, which he managed to make a big one. I'm not sure if I've heard him before in some other show, but his singing was outstanding and acting superb.

A great show. Wish that Bolshoi will continue in this way.

Комментариев нет: