четверг, 22 января 2009 г.

Bolshoi - my first 15 years - the 2000s

I've returned to Moscow in the second half of the 2006, for the first time after more than 5,5 years. One of the first places I wanted to visit was, of course, the Bolshoi. During the years that I was not in Moscow, I've only sporadically followed the developments in Moscow. But, it has not slipped me that there've been some revolutionary changes happening at the Bolshoi. My biggest surprise has been to read that Peter Konwitschny was staging "Der Fliegende Holländer" at the Bolshoi. Firstly Wagner at the Bolshoi (!!! wow) and secondly Konwitschny (wow wow!!!) that was very hard to grasp. I've realized that a lot has changed. And most of it for better!!

It just happened that my encounter with the New Bolshoi started again with Onegin. And it has been the biggest shock I've ever experienced in a theatre. First and foremost because it was at "the" Bolshoi. Second, the Tchernyakov's staging is probably one of the most fresh and interesting readings of Onegin ever. Sets, lights, acting, details everything was so perfect that it made me come over and over again. Over the last 2 years, I've seen the show at least 10 times and just can't get enough of it. Musically it has it's ups and downs, might not be that perfect, but overall impression overshadows the small musical problems of the show.












Much to my surprise, with the new management the Bolshoi has taken the course of radically renewing it's repertoire. Both when it comes to the stagings, as well as the titles played. Unfortunately many shows were taken off the stage before I returned to Moscow, most notably Konwintschny's "Holländer" and Tschernyakov's "Rake's Progress". But quite a few are still running and being produced (though latest additions were not that successful). My favorite shows so far are


Wilson's legendary staging of "Madam Butterfly". Puccini really suits Vedernikov (chief conductor of the Bolshoi) amazingly well. Probably my favorite show at the Bolshoi



Graham Vick's "Die Zabuerflöte"



David Pountney's "Carmen", with absolutely superb conducting by Temirkanov (who unfortunately hated the staging, and apparently decided not to take part in it any longer:(), also contributing was Nadia Krasteva, as quite powerful Carmen



Zembello/Tsipin's staging of "The Fiery Angel". Vedernikov surprisingly works miracles with this score.

Zembello/Tsipin's staging of "Turandot".

"The Queen of Spades". Staging was not that impressive, but musically a superb reading by Pletnev. Together with stunning Obraztsova and Galousine, this is one of the best performances around

Surprisingly traditional staging of "The Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk". But Rozhdestvensky does magic with the music.

Комментариев нет: