четверг, 29 января 2009 г.

Bolt - Bolshoi

I've been waiting for this show since the day I came to Moscow. When it premiered I was still home in Belgrade, and read about it only on the net. However, I was very much impressed by the pics that were available on the net. It looked so modern and unusual for the "classical" Bolshoi that I've been used to. Unfortunately, for some very strange reason this production has not been shown in Moscow for almost two years, so yesterday was the first possibility for me to see it. And I've used it.

After seeing the "Bright Stream", more than a year ago, I was so impressed with Ratmansky's choreography that I had to buy a DVD of his only filmed production, which was "Bolt". Well, honestly speaking, I was a bit disappointed. I've actually never seen the whole DVD, but left it somewhere in the middle of the first act. Later, I've also read some critics about the show, which were a bit lukewarm, so my expectations were quite low. Which is from my experience, not the worst thing to have before going to a theatre.

At the end, I've really got to enjoy the show to the fullest. It is probably a very unusual thing for a ballet, to talk about the choreography and the sets as almost equally important elements of the performance. But in this case it really is true. I guess otherwise the show wouldn’t have worked. And it really works amazingly.

The story is very simple and id set in the time of the "new economical plan" of the 20s in the newly born USSR. A lazy guy in a factory gets fired and contemplates revenge by putting in a bolt in the factory machinery, thus creating a short circuit. His accomplice unable to live with such a lie, admits everything, saves wrongly accused comrade, and dreams of preventing diversions against the Red Army.

This is a ballet filled with absurdities, humor and sarcasm. And at the same time it speaks with the touch of warmth of those long gone days of idealism and soviet past. Choreography is more or less a typical Ratmansky, using "classical" modern neoclassical language, with some interesting compositional inventions. His best moments, as always, when he deals injects some sarcasm and humor in his characters and dance.

Minor draw of the show is probably not the best score of Shostakovich. Although I'm his great admirer, half of the music just didn't work for me. But the other half made up to it.

The sets and the overall choreography work so well and impress immediately, that you never actually never get to care about individual performers that much.

I guess the most memorable moments for me were the opening physical drill, (when the whole ensemble in white tank tops and black trunks was performing a stunningly choreographed morning drill, only to one-two-three), two widows dancing in the background of the tango scene and the closing Red Army extravaganza, including the whole scene of the firefighters dancing on scooters!

Overall, I've really enjoyed the show, laughed a lot and think about seeing the show again tonight.







Комментариев нет: